Aminobutyric Acid(GABA) has a significant effect in alleviating the inhibition of many stresses on plant growth, and it also has an obvious effect on alleviating the inhibition of salt stress on seed germination.
Different concentrations of GABA showed good effects on alleviating the inhibition of salt stress on maize seed germination, and 0.5 mmol/L GABA could significantly increase the germination rate and root length of maize seeds under salt stress.
Through our research, we found that GABA has a strong promotion effect on amylase activity under salt stress, and most of the nutrients and energy required for seed germination are obtained through starch decomposition, so the starch decomposition efficiency will directly affect the seed. germination quality.
Therefore, GABA can improve the germination quality of maize seeds under salt stress probably because it promotes the activity of amylase, so that the seeds can obtain more nutrients and energy to resist adverse environments and complete germination.
1. Regulates Seedling Morphogenesis
Application of GABA under salt stress can effectively improve the growth of maize seedlings. It can increase the plant height of corn and increase the dry and fresh weight of stems and leaves of seedlings. While improving the growth of the aboveground part, it also promotes the growth of the underground root system.
Under salt stress, the dry and fresh weight of the roots of the GABA treatment group increased, the total root length, root surface area, root volume and root tip number increased significantly, but the root diameter decreased, which was lower than that of the CK group.
Among all GABA concentrations tested, 0.5 mmol/L GABA concentration had the best effect on seedling morphogenesis.
2. Regulation of Seedling Protective Enzyme Activity
Salt stress induces the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), which can lead to cell membrane damage and the accumulation of membrane lipid peroxides, with the most significant increase in malondialdehyde (MDA) content.
MDA in leaves of maize seedlings was significantly increased under salt stress. With the application of GABA, MDA content decreased, 0.5 mmol/L GABA has the best effect on reducing the accumulation of harmful oxidative substances.
- Applying Aminobutyric acid (GABA) can effectively alleviate the germination inhibition caused by NaCl.
- It can alleviate the inhibition of NaCl stress on seedling growth and is beneficial to seedling morphogenesis and material accumulation.
- It can increase the activity of antioxidant enzymes and reduce the accumulation of harmful substances.
- It can regulate the activity of enzymes related to nitrogen metabolism in seedlings, increase the content of endogenous GABA, and regulate the synthesis and decomposition of soluble protein and pyruvate.
- It can regulate the content of endogenous hormones in seedlings, and weaken the effect of NaCI stress on the balance of endogenous hormones.
- It can reduce the damage of NaCl stress to the photosynthetic system of leaves and improve the photosynthetic capacity of plants.